A Barrelhouse Brine favourite! Deep fried Pickled Beans coated with a panko crust; fried until golden and crisp; and served with a cayenne-spiked mayo that balances out their brininess.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
For the Spicy Mayo:
1 cup Helman’s mayonnaise
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash of celery salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper to taste
For the Fried Pickles:
Canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
2½ cups panko
¾ cup Anita’s unbleached white flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 jar of Barrelhouse Brine Fresh Pack Wax Bean pickles, drained and patted dry with paper towel
1. Make the spicy mayo: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, and spices. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pour enough oil into a 3-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan until it reaches a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°.
3. In a food processor, pulse the panko until finely ground.
4. Place the panko, flour and egg into three separate bowls. Stir the baking powder into the flour.
5. Working with one pickled bean at a time, dredge in flour, allowing any excess to fall. Dip each pickled bean into the egg then coat evenly in panko bread crumbs.
6. Working in batches, fry the pickled beans, turning halfway through, until crisp and light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled beans and transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and season immediately with salt. Serve with the spicy mayo.